Year 7 Enrolment
Year 7 enrolment at PHSC
Criteria for Year 7 Selection 2020
Princes Hill Secondary College is subject to enrolment restrictions as stipulated by the Department of Education and Training (DET) enrolment policy. Places at Princes Hill Secondary College will be allocated in the following priority order:
1. Permanent residency in proximity to Princes Hill Secondary College.
Is PHSC my closest neighbourhood school?
Use the following link to determine if PHSC is your closest neighbourhood school www.findmyschool.vic.gov.au. Permanent residency of a student must be with a parent or legal guardian (addresses of extended family members will not be considered, eg: grandparents). Please be aware that if you present documents claiming residence at a particular address, the school will conduct checks and may visit that address to confirm this.
Permanent residency in proximity to PHSC is defined as:
- ownership or occupation of a residential property proximal to the school
- a long term lease (minimum 12 months) concurrent for the full duration of the year of entry to the school (2020). All leases must be completed through a registered real estate agent.
- evidence of renewal of lease when current lease expires. Students are expected to remain permanent residents throughout their child’s secondary education at PHSC. If students move their place of residence outside the zone they will be expected to relocate to a new neighbourhood school.
- the residential property must be in the name of the parent or guardians name.
- residing with a relative or friend or guardian does not qualify as permanent residency unless supported by relevant legal documentation.
Proof of residency:
- ownership documents or lease, and
- 2 utilities bills in name of resident, and
- plus, parents/ guardian Identification documents (drivers license, passport).
Please note that the permanent residency status will be actively monitored by the school. Parents are expected to update residential and contact details each school year on Compass.
‘Sibling’ is defined as a student who currently has an older sibling enrolled at the school. For these purposes, ‘sibling’ is defined as a relative who lives at the same residential address as the applicant. The sibling must be attending Princes Hill Secondary College in 2020. Sibling places will be offered based on i) availability of places, ii) distance of permanent residence from PHSC.
3. Curriculum Grounds: Music and/ or French study
Parent(s) or guardian(s) applying to enrol their child on the basis of curriculum grounds must be able to demonstrate that access to a specific curriculum program available at Princes Hill Secondary College is vital to their child’s education, and is not available to them at a Secondary School closer to their home. Curriculum grounds applications must be substantiated through letters from Primary School teachers, tutors or appropriate sources (see below).
- Music – Examples of relevant documents which provide evidence of at least 18 months of tuition, within the 2 years prior to 31 December 2019, in at least 2 instruments which may include voice. Written verification is required from a qualified music teacher. This evidence will be checked.
- French – Examples of relevant documents might include: Copy of Native French Speaking Passport, Evidence of Attending a French Immersion School and/or Evidence of Residency in a French Speaking Country.
Curriculum Grounds places will be offered based on i) availability of places, ii) distance of permanent residence from PHSC. Parents are advised to put PHSC as the first preference on the Application for Yr 7 Placement form provided by their Primary School.
Enrolment Constraints at PHSC
The high retention rate at PHSC from Years 8-12 restricts our intake. Very few places become available in Years 8-12.
Sibling and curriculum grounds applications will be considered after local permanent residency claims are considered.
Applications for transfer based on residential grounds from neighbouring schools may not be granted.
Year 7 Enrolment procedure
For student in Year 6 at a Government Primary School
- 23 April onwards – Primary schools distribute a transition pack to all parents/carers of Year 6 Students 2019.
- 1 May – Information Evening Sessions at PHSC. 5pm and 7pm.
- 17 May – last date to return Application for Year 7 Placement 2020 to Primary school.
- 17 May – last day to submit Curriculum Grounds Application to Princes Hill Secondary College (see below for details).
- 7 August – parents notified of results of placement application by Primary School.
- 8 August – Parents/Carers may commence lodging non-placement appeals with secondary schools.
- 9 August- Secondary colleges are not permitted by DET to enter into any communication regarding enrolments prior to this date.
- 19 August- closing date for parents to lodge a non-placement appeal with secondary school.
- 30 August – secondary schools notify all parents/carers who have lodged a non placement appeal with an outcome by this date.
- 13 September- closing date for lodging appeals to Regional Director where they are unsuccessful with their appeal to the secondary school.
- 11 October- last day to accept PHSC offer for Year 7 2020.
- 9 November – Academic Assessment Services Testing for all Year 7 2020 PHSC students. 8.30am – 12.30pm.
- 10 December- Orientation Day for Year 7 2020.
All families seeking a Year 7 enrolment at the Princes Hill Secondary College must complete the Department of Education and Training (DET) Application for Year 7 Placement made available from their Primary School in April each year. Families applying with proximity to school or sibling claims must ensure that this information is recorded on that form and that the form is returned to their Primary School by 17 May 2019.
Additional requirements for Curriculum Grounds applications
Families intending to list Princes Hill Secondary College as their preferred school and seek enrolment on the basis of Curriculum Grounds must apply in writing by 3.00pm Friday 17th May 2019:
- submit PHSC Curriculum Grounds pro-forma – Click here for Y7 2020 Curiculum Grounds Proforma
- substantiation documents as described above
Following the closing date for application, the Principal, Assistant Principal and Transition Coordinator at Princes Hill Secondary College will process all applications and assign places on the basis of the selection criteria outlined below. Additional information may be sought from the applicants, or their Primary School if required.
All families will be officially notified of the outcome of their placement application on 8 August 2018 by their Primary School. Princes Hill Secondary College will also confirm the outcome by letter after that date. Successful applicants must indicate acceptance of their offer by returning the form provided in the PHSC letter by 11 October 2019. The College reserves the right to withdraw an offer of a place if the circumstances of the applicant, relevant to the selection criteria, change. This will also be the case if substantiation documentation cannot be provided or verified.
Any family who has applied for Princes Hill Secondary College on their Application for Year 7 Placement form, but is not offered a place, is able to request a review of that decision. Advice regarding the appeal process will be forwarded to unsuccessful applicants, as requested. Reviews will be undertaken by the College Principal and Regional Officers of the Department of Education and Training. Outcomes of the review will be reported to families in writing and the determination of the review will be final.
The College generally experiences some fluctuation in acceptance of offers and may be able to offer further places during Terms 3 & 4. Families will be given the option of being placed on a waiting list for a place. Any places will be allocated as they become available, on the basis of the above enrolment criteria. Except in exceptional circumstances, the College will not make further offers after the December Orientation Day.
If you have any questions please contact either: