Ensembles are an important part of our music program and provide students the opportunity to learn and play music across a range of styles and genres. Students apply the technical skills they are developing in their lessons, as well as learning ensemble based skills that only come from rehearsing and performing with other musicians. Ensembles also provide social and community engagement for students, with weekly rehearsals, camps, and regular performance opportunities through the year. The experience of music making also encourages teamwork and helps students develop resilience.
If you want your child to be more resilient, get them to join a choir, orchestra or band
– The Conversation (October 24, 2022) by Dr William James Baker, Anne-Marie Forbes, Kim McLeod
As part of enrolling for instrumental lessons, students will be able to submit an expression of interest for any ensemble. Students will need to select at least one core ensemble to participate in as part of their instrumental lessons. In addition to a core ensemble, students may also select to participate in an elective of audition based ensemble.
Student preferences will be provided to all ensemble leaders.
- Ensemble Leaders for core ensembles will be in touch at the beginning of the school year regarding ensemble participation and requirements. This may include follow up regarding students who have selected a senior ensemble.
- Ensemble Leaders for elective/audition ensembles will be in touch throughout Term 4 to run auditions and touch based with students as required. This will occasionally extend into the beginning of Term 1.
We recommend students consider the following information when choosing an ensemble:
- Style/s of music performed
- Ensemble instrumentation
- Ability level
- Audition requirements
|Core Ensembles||Elective/Audition Ensembles|
|Arnold St (Concert Band)||Contemporary Jazz Ensemble (CJE)|
|Used Car Horns (saxophone ensemble)||Latin Band|
|Strung Out (Junior Strings)||Soul Band|
|String Collective (Senior Strings)||Planet Seven (Year 7 only)|
|Junior Guitar Ensemble||Planet Eighty-Nine (Years 8 & 9 only)|
|Senior Guitar Ensemble||Contemporary Choir|
|Junior Choir (Years 7 & 8)||Rhapsody (Advanced Choir, audition based)|
|Senior Choir (Years 9+)||Vocal Group (Advanced Choir, 5 positions only)|
Each year we look for opportunities where student-led ensembles can be facilitated with support from the Music Department.
In 2023 we have also run the following ensembles:
- String Quartet, supported by Natasha Conrau (Violin Teacher)
- Junior Vocal Group, led by Edie Mitchell (Year 12)